Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Back. Again. Cuba - the not so good bits.

I've decided to try and get back to blogging again if I can (although I can't claim to have been much good at it up to now.  My aim for this month is to try to get a blog post a day for all of April, although if I fail tomorrow I can always just say that it was all a poor April Fool.  I have a good feeling about this time, though.

I will keep today's short.

My girlfriend (oh yeah, I have a girlfriend now just so you know) and I headed off to Cuba for ten days at the end of April, and really enjoyed it, although we did seem to get caught in a chain of unfortunate circumstances.  The first day we walked around most of Havana, covering about 20K trying to see as much as we could and Anne-Sophie's (my girlfriend) feet got covered in blister's from her sandals.  My skin had been giving me trouble before I left and we had hoped that the sun and the sea would clear it up while we were away, but on the fourth day, the morning after we'd spent an afternoon at the beach in Trinidad, I woke up with swollen eyelids and cracked and weeping skin on my neck.  It was not nice.  So we had to go to the hospital where they gave me two steroid injections in the bum and another two syringes of who knows what into the arm.  They seemed to do the job, but I really don't like using steroids.  During the last two days Anne-Sophie's back went out, probably as a result of our five hours pony trekking through the vineyards of Viñales.  So she spent the very last day in agony waiting in the Casa Particular we were staying in while I dashed around Havana looking for painkillers, postcards and a post office (in that order) on the back of a rickshaw driven by a poor guy who hadn't realised what he was getting himself into when he agreed to take me.  The flight home was a bit rough, but we made it (I actually slept very well during it).

I will write more on the experience in Cuba in the coming days, including my experience with hitchhiking and also how our taxi ride in paranoia.

If in the meantime you'd like to check out Anne-Sophie's Photos (she's a photographer, did I mention).
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment